Saturday, April 25, 2009

Pansies


I have a neighbor Jane who is an amazing gardener. Every year, Jane's garden is always the brightest in the neighborhood. Beds filled with waves of vibrant colours, while everyone else's roses are still just lumps of thorns. I asked her the other day what her secret is and she told me that she uses pansy flowers.

She must've seen the quizzical look on my face, because she laughed and pointed to the neat rows of multi-coloured flowers. "Those, these are pansies." I asked which ones, there were so many different colours ranging from pastel blues to almost black. She laughed again and told me that all of the flowers out were pansies.

Jane told me that pansies have been bred by gardeners for almost 200 years to create different colours and patterns. She pointed out flowers with dark black lines coming out from the centre and flowers that were solid colour. There were others that she showed me that had two tones and even triple coloured flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment